Summer time in Michigan is already flying by and we have had some doozy of days with the heat. I love the heat and I am trying not to complain because I do work in air condition and have air condition at home, so there really is no need for complaining and I would not want the weather any other way during the summer.
At the beginning of June I sat down and came up with a Summer Bucket List. I have been able to cross a few items off the list and am planning how to make the other adventures happen. It has been a fun-filled summer and it is only July 5!
Recapping the Summer Bucket List:
1. Complete a sprint triathlon - I have not yet completed a sprint triathlon but come Sunday July, 8th at 9:30am I will have (hopefully) completed my very first triathlon. Just typing this is forming butterflies in my stomach. I keep telling myself that I am not nervous, but deep down I am nervous. Open water swimming in Lake Michigan can be intimidating. I swam the swim course yesterday and now all I am hoping for is a calmer lake Sunday morning.
2.Do a century bike ride with my dad (I am hoping he says “yes” to this)- I have not convinced my father that riding a bike for 100 miles in one day is fun, but I have signed up for a century on July, 21. Ready or not I am riding 100 miles on July, 21 with the hopes that I will be able to walk the next day and compete in a sprint triathlon only 3 days later.
3. Convince Amy-Lynn that the two of us should go canoeing is a good idea- Failed as of now. We still have time to canoe this summer.
4. Run a 5k race (I have only ran one 5k race in my life and it was over 4 years ago)- Success! I ran my 2nd timed 5k last Tuesday at the Zeeland Zoom. I failed to take any pictures, but I for sure did run a 5k. I have to say that 5k’s are way harder than marathons. My body most definitely does not like short, sprint runs. Running a marathon at a reasonable pace is much more my thing.
5. Run a 10k race ( I jumped from no running to running a 25k and a marathon in one year. Stupid idea, I do not suggest this route.)- I should get to looking for a 10k to run…
6. Go camping at least twice (I am going next weekend for sure)- I have gone camping once this summer and it was an adventure. You put 8 city slicker ladies in the woods and it is going to be an adventure. We got attacked by a raccoon (I am not kidding, it really happened). We took twice as long to raft down the river than what it was supposed to take us and we managed to get eaten alive by mosquitoes. Success
7. Go on a boat ride (Friends with boats please call me. I promise I will bring food and drinks to share.)- Did! Yesterday I spent 12 hours on a boat in the middle of Lake Michigan and it was GLORIOUS! I absolutely love spending time on the lake and the rocking of a boat while I am napping under the golden sun. Is there really anything better to do in the summer?
8. Go fishing at least once (Hopefully I will catch some fish. I am really good at just going on the boat and sitting there, but this year I actually want to try the fishing part.)- Another fail… I am not doing too good on my summer bucket list.
How has your summer been so far? Any fun/new adventures?